Saturday, January 18, 2014

Prayer Changes Things




Barry has been preparing to speak for "The Pastor's Prayer Retreat" in The Shenandoah Wesleyan District, .  As he has been preparing to share his heart on prayer, I have been reflecting on prayer myself.

About four years ago I found myself overwhelmed by a song.  The words to the song kept going through my head.  Check out Brandon Heath's song, "Give Me Your Eyes."


You see, I had been the girl in the song earlier in my life.  The one who did her best to hide what was on the inside.  I lived for many years of my life pretending I was doing great.  I wanted the world to see the perfect, Christy.  I fooled many people with my lie.  Because inside I was dying.

This time, while listening to this song, I would find myself looking at the people around me; wondering what their story was.  Then one day on my way to work, while this song was playing on the radio, I decided to pray that God would give me His eyes.

It has always bothered me when people say, "Don't ever pray for patience."  I understand why people say that.  The trials that come to teach patience can be a struggle.  I just always thought that if "patience" is a fruit of the spirit it is something that we really need.  I say this because the prayer for "His eyes" seems to bring the same negative effect.

The prayer for "His eyes" has been a heart breaking prayer that has changed my perspective and my life.  When God began to allow me to see people with "His eyes" I began to see people hurting.  I saw people in great need; some financially, some relationally, some mentally, etc.  I noticed that there is so much hurt in this world.  I wasn't able to see the lady jogging down the road as just a friendly person anymore.  Instead I saw her as a single-mom trying to take care of her own physical needs in a busy schedule.  I was no longer able to sit at a stop light and just notice the car sitting next to me.  Instead I would see the driver in the car next to me as a man full of worry for how he was going to provide for his families' next meal.  I couldn't run throught the check out line in Wal-mart like I used to because now I would see the clerk in Wal-mart as someone who had been abused sexually.  The stories went on.  I wasn't able to go anywhere without seeing people and feeling their hurt.

It was through that time period that the Lord began to show me that I cannot fix all the problems in the world.  However, He has chosen me to bring hope, peace and love to the people who are in my path.  The normal every day people

It was through that prayer, "for His eyes," that I have begun the venture that the V-Team finds ourselves in today.  To be honest, it is through prayer that Barry would say the Lord began to do a work in his life leading  him to this new venture (maybe he will share more after the "Prayer Retreat" is over).

Prayer changes things.  It draws us to the perfectly consistent heart of God.  The heart of God that desires the imperfect us to be in relationship with the perfect Him (that still does not make sense to my imperfect mind...but it amazes my imperfect heart).

Part of the venture we are on is to raise up a team of prayer partners.  We are praying for a team of 400+ people who would be willing to join our team; knowing full well that prayer will change things.  We are praying that it WILL change the V-Team and we are praying that it will change our Prayer Team.  Contact us to hear more about joining our team.

Prayer changes things...it has changed me...and I desire it to continue to change me!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment