Thursday, January 16, 2014

Humbled

Yesterday was one of those days.  You know, the days you wake up and you can just tell you are in for a ride and you sense the ride is going to be an adventure.  As soon as my alarm clock went off my mind began running through the list of things I needed to accomplish for the day.  Wednesdays are always extra busy; they start early with my morning duty responsibilities and end late with my church responsibilities.  Yesterday was no different.

As I walked in the office an elementary student came running up behind me.  Out of breath she says, "The toilet is running over."  Without thinking (or even taking my coat off) I set off for the water valve.  However, within seconds my body flies through the air and I find myself landing on my palms and knees onto the hard floor.  I quickly jump up to rush into the bathroom which is STILL flooding over.  At this point I can feel pain rushing through every muscle of my body, but I push through to bend over and turn the switch off.

One of my first thoughts after the toilet turned off was, "Phew, no one saw me."  I hate to have attention drawn to me, especially when I have done something so goofy. In reality that was not the case.  It seemed to be seconds later that I was being greeted by teachers and students who were making sure I was ok.  Then my phone began buzzing with texts making sure I was ok.  Everyone's schedules seemed to be put on hold and the focus turned to me (not my idea of fun).

Around 11:15 I was asked if I was able to walk to the window (well I wasn't going to let someone carry me).  When I got to the main office windows I see my 24 Bible students standing out there holding banners.  I was in awe.  I walked outside to be able to see what they had created and then it was done.  The tears started pouring out (so much for seeing what they had written).  I just walked up the 20+ foot banner overwhelmed in love.  Then I got to a smaller banner.  In large print is said "We love You, Mrs. V!!!"  Then all around it the students had written words that THEY think characterize me, as well as, Bible verses.  I am overwhelmed and humbled by the love of these students.


This reminded my of a song written by David Crowder, "How He Loves."  The song talks about how much Jesus loves us, the overwhelming grace that He loves us with. 


There are times when the storms of life (or trials) seem to be unbearable.  Everything is sinking in around us and we are struggling to keep our head above water.  It is during those times that Jesus' desire is to ravish us with his love (like my Bible students did for me).  However, it is our choice whether we allow him to or not (I could have stayed at my desk in pain and not received the gift my students created for me).  By humbling ourselves to receive the gift of Jesus' great love we can begin to feel the freedom from our storm and a change in our perspective (my students helped me refocus and reminded my of my purpose).

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are ok. while we know that Jesus loves us it is a special Blessing to see His love at work. God Bless You and the staff and those precious little angels for their heartwarming show of love.

    ReplyDelete