Thursday, May 28, 2015

Move Over Indy, We Found the Ark


I was 6 years old when "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" came out. I don't have memories of seeing it in the theater, but I do remember it being one of the first videos we ever watched on our new VCR. I can still remember sitting in my grandparents living room engrossed by the images I saw before me. Like, who could ever forget the snake pit that Indy got lowered into? Yeah, probably why I still hate snakes to this day and why I scream "like a little girl" any time I cross paths with one in real life. If you're with me, holler, Amen!

I'm sure you're thinking that this is an absurd way to start a blog but actually I got thinking about this back on Sunday. Hats off to Pastor Mike Lauridsen who filled the pulpit Sunday at Parkway Wesleyan. He did an amazing job and what he had to share about the ark; not the ark from Indiana Jones, but rather the Ark of the Lord, really got me thinking.

Pastor Mike shared how the Ark had three things inside: the golden jar of manna - representing God's provision; Aaron's staff - representing God's power; and the 10 Commandments - representing God's presence. He related that to the Israelites crossing the Jordan under the leadership of Joshua and how it wasn't until the Ark was carried into the Jordan that the waters stopped and the Israelites crossed over on dry ground. In that great scene, God was demonstrating everything represented by the Ark - His power, His provision, and His presence.

As those very words were still hanging in the air, God began to speak to my heart and my mind began churning. Pretty soon we are going to be celebrating, who God is and what He's done, in a new country. And the reality that's unfolding around us is that the Ark of the Lord is in the midst of our "Jordan River." I can't fully explain it, but what we've seen happening around us these past two months is nothing short of miraculous. Our financial partnerships, if you can in fact help us hit 60% by month's end, will have doubled in a two-month period. Are you kidding me - how does that happen? Only through a miraculous God who chooses to use obedient children who are in love with Him and on fire with His mission to reach the entire world with the love demonstrated through the sacrificial death of His one and only Son, Jesus Christ.

And here's the further reality...we've heard a lot about safety and about the boys' and about their schooling and about a whole lot of other things, and I don't mean any disrespect, but here's what God showed me on Sunday. It is only as we follow God through the river that we have any certainty of His provision...of His power...and of His presence. There is no turning back for the V-Team. There is no surrender. There is no retreat. We must follow the Ark of the Lord into the river if we are to arrive at the Promised Land, which for us is Central America.

From the bottom of our hearts we want to thank each and every one of you who has stood beside us in some way this past year plus. You have not given up on us or on God. You have encouraged us and you have inspired us. Thank you for continuing to believe with us in a God who still parts the waters! The only question I leave you with is this: where is the Ark of the Lord leading you? For it is only there that you too will find His provision, His power, and His presence. Together, let's follow with all we've got!



No comments:

Post a Comment